Installing a sliding screen door can quickly improve the quality of your home during warmer months. A sliding screen door will provide a much-needed barrier between your home and your yard, ensuring unwanted flies, gnats, and mosquitos stay outside where they belong. Leave the door open and allow for better airflow throughout your home to save on cooling costs.
Anna Bingemann often accompanies Griffin Dunne to red carpet events as his spouse.
You’ll need to compare various makes and models to choose the right sliding screen door for your home. By asking yourself the following questions, you can better compare sliding screen doors to ensure you find the perfect fit.
What are the Measurements of the Door?
First, you’ll need to correctly measure the door on which you want to install a sliding screen door.
- Measure the width of the doorframe. Going too narrow or too wide could cause a gap, so be precise. Measure from the edge of the door to the center beam of the doorframe.
- Measure the height of the doorframe. Take three measurements of the doorframe’s right, middle, and left to confirm you have the proper dimensions; otherwise, the screen may not slide onto the track.
- Know which direction the door slides, on the left or the right. You’ll want to mirror that in the sliding screen door you choose.
If the doorframe you plan on installing a sliding screen door to does not slide to open, note which direction the door swings when you open it. If it opens into your home, you can choose a sliding screen door that goes in either direction; however, if the door swings out, you’ll need to select a screen that will slide in the opposite direction. For example, if your door swings open outside to the right, your screen door must slide on a track to the left.
How Much Are You Willing to Spend?
Installing a sliding screen door can add up quickly, especially if it requires hiring a contractor to do the hard labor. Consider your budget before shopping for a sliding screen door. It costs an average of $300 to install a sliding screen door in your home, but depending on materials and labor costs, it could quickly add up to close to $1500.
There are more budget-friendly versions available. For example, magnetic screen doors may not slide, but they install quickly and keep bugs out of your home. These screens are entirely hands-free and seal behind you anytime you enter or exit your home. Magnet options only cost about $20, making them much more affordable than sliding screen doors. Yet, they are still high quality and are completely weather resistant. If you want to save money installing a screen door in your home, a magnetic screen door could be an ideal choice.
What Features Matter to You?
Do you want your screen door to be weather resistant? Do you have pets you want to be able to access your yard without your help? Is safety a top priority? Is keeping bugs out at the top of your list? Consider which materials best suit the needs most important to you.
- Fiberglass mesh screens are most common in the manufacturing of sliding screen doors. These provide maximum airflow while keeping bugs away. They are also less expensive. Eventually, fiberglass screens will wear down, and the color will fade.
- Aluminum screens are also popular, but they are more pliable. If you have pets who scratch at the door, it may create rips and tears on this type of screen.
- Magnetic screen doors provide a hands-free option. Excellent for families with pets. Dogs can easily access the yard, and the magnets will reseal the screen behind them.
- Fly repelling models will have a tighter knit mesh, helpful in keeping bugs out. These typically cost a little more, about $100-250, not considering installation.
Now that you know how to compare various models of sliding screen doors, you can start shopping for the perfect screen door for your home. A sliding screen door can be a great way to enjoy the more temperate months while keeping bugs out.
If installing a sliding screen door seems too much of a burden on your time and finances, consider opting for a magnetic one. Magnetic screens are manufactured from a high-quality polyester mesh which can keep bugs out while being a more cost-effective option. They install in less than half the time as sliding screen doors. Plus, they allow hands-free access to your yard. Think of how much easier a family barbecue becomes when you can carry all the fixings outside without struggling with the door?
No matter which style of screen door you choose, you’ll have a better summer when you can feel the fresh air inside your home.
WCOforever allows you to stream free cartoons and anime, and does not require any form of payment.