Various reasons, including driver error, mechanical failure, environmental conditions, and road hazards, cause car accidents. The most common causes of car accidents are distracted driving (such as texting while driving), impaired driving (such as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol), speeding, and following too closely. After an accident, you should contact a car accident lawyer Montrose.
Things you should not do after you have been injured in a car accident
Getting into a car accident is a frightening and potentially life-altering experience. It can happen instantly, so it is important to know the most common causes to reduce your risk of being involved in one.
Some of the most common causes of car accidents include:
- Distracted driving, such as texting or talking on the phone while driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Speeding or reckless driving
- Driving in bad weather conditions
- Failure to obey traffic laws, such as running a red light or stop sign
- Driving while fatigued
- Not using turn signals
- Aggressive driving, such as tailgating or weaving in and out of traffic
- Poor visibility, such as driving at night without headlights
Things we should keep in mind while driving
- Do not sign any documents from the other driver’s insurance company without consulting a lawyer
- Do not accept a settlement offer from the other driver’s insurance company without consulting a lawyer.
- Do not give a statement to the other driver’s insurance company without consulting a lawyer.
- Consult a lawyer before discussing the accident or your injuries with anyone else.
- Do not delay in seeking medical attention for your injuries.
- Do not discuss any details of the accident on social media or with anyone who isn’t an official part of the investigation.
- Do not ignore any deadlines or paperwork related to your case.
- Don’t try to handle the case on your own without the support of a lawyer.
By understanding the common causes of car accidents, you can take steps to reduce your risk of being involved in one. This includes following traffic laws, avoiding distractions, and driving defensively.
Car accidents, including hit-and-runs, can be devastating. Victims may suffer injuries and significant property damage depending on the accident’s severity. If you’re involved in a hit-and-run, you may be able to recover damages, depending on your situation and the available evidence.
The most common type of damages you can recover in a car accident case are economic damages, which are related to quantifiable financial losses. Examples of monetary damages include medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and car rental costs.
In addition to economic damages, you may be able to recover non-economic damages, which are related to the physical, mental, and emotional harm suffered as a result of the accident. These damages are difficult to quantify but may include pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of consortium.